#norcalracetothestart Challenge Series
- OmegaBykr Instructions
- About Omegabykr
- Guidelines by NICA
- Adventure Photo Challenge
- TTC Challenge
- GRiT Challenge
- Team Dirt Pedal for a Medal
- Bike Repair Video
- Team Hill Climb Challenge
- Create OmegaBykr account https://omegabykr.com/main
- After creating an account you will fill out a team request form here.
- Once the team is created, assign an administrator to Email Cyndi Wong to give you administrator rights.
- Create Your Team Event
- The coach will need to define a route and ride it before posting it in your team event.
- Invite riders to participate in your event labeled “Hill Climb Challenge.”
- Since most riders will be under 18, the waiver will need to be filled out by their guardian riders and need to sign.
- Please refer to the setup manual for Q & A.
You will use Omegabykr for the Team Dirt Pedal for a Medal Challenge as well, your coach should outline routes for you in Omegabykr.
To view a tutorial on setting up your account in Omegabykr go here.
For specific Team Dirt Pedal instructions go here.
For specific Team Hill Climb instructions go here.
Welcome to OmegaBykr.com
In the Spring of 2020, we were faced with the realities of the COVID-19 pandemic,
shelter-in-place and social distancing. Many in my bike community who enjoyed large group rides found ways to connect in virtual space. For me, the joy and magic of riding happens outside, so I didn’t see this as a good long-term solution. I looked for apps that allowed people to list their rides on a shared route, but couldn’t find one, so I decided to design and build my own.
What does this desktop application do?
It started as a riding blog where you can post a route and others can download it, ride it and then upload from Strava. I built a ranking algorithm that factors in percent of route completed, total distance ridden (both on and off route) and average speed. Riders can upload multiple rides for the same route and the group listing will display their best ranking. There is also a space for riders to share comments on any given post. I have expanded on my original idea and created a platform for teams/clubs to have custom pages and host virtual events. In an effort to support youth programs, the platform will be free for all official clubs and teams for kids and supported by adult subscriptions. In doing things a little backwards, I have focused my attention on getting the platform running smoothly for the kids to have a racing season in the middle of the pandemic.
Why did I build it?
In a prior life, I was a software engineer building trading and portfolio analytic software on Wall Street. When my husband and I returned to the Bay Area from New York after our oldest was born, I took the opportunity to be a full-time mom while doing some contract work, a blessing. My youngest is now in college and I have been contemplating my next steps. This project brings together two things that are near and dear to my heart, software development and riding bikes. Maybe this path will lead me to my next career.
Boy, that’s a cool site name!
My family came up with OmegaBykr. The Omega personality is one who operates
outside of traditional norms, a person who thinks outside the box. The Omega Bykr is
creative in finding ways to continue enjoying the sport.
For support please contact Erica@norcalmtb.org.
- Show us your artistic eye! This challenge will be won by the person who captures the most beauty and stoke in their photos. The 4 photos and 1 video should be in one Instagram post with #norcalracetothestart, or submitted via the form below.
- Here are the specifics:
1. Your bike leaned against the most beautiful tree you can find
2. A selfie with a body of water
3. A photo of geometry in nature
4. A creative, socially distant, pod team photo
5. 5-10 second video of something rad you and/or your team do/did at practice. Content up to you.
March 1st – May 31st
- The team with the most monthly TTC volunteer hours wins.
- Coaches will sumbit Teen Trail Corp hours in the Pit Zone and then the form link above (after the Pit Zone) by the last day of each month that the trail work was completed. Submission deadlines: Feb. 28th, March 31st, April 30th, May 31st
- For example, check the following websites for trail work opportunities:
April 1st – May 31st
- This challenge is to see which teams complete the most dirt miles of riding in a one-month period, under coach supervision.
- Coaches will need record team rides with GPX tracker of choice
- Data cannot be recorded or submitted by student athlete.
- Data must be submitted by emailing GPX file to rpicard@norcalmtb. org.
- Coaches will record how many miles were ridden each day as if the team was one rider.
- Your team will have two separate months to compete. Your head coach will submit the team miles for the month on April 30th and May 31st.
April 12th – April 25th
- Create a video with clips of doing different bike repairs
- Top videos win some swag.
- Examples: change a flat; tubeless set up; chain love; new cables; sweet shifting
- Submit via Instagram by using
- #norcalracetothestart in your post through the form below
- Winning videos: most creative, best humor, most pro
April 26th – May 10th
- Coaches will need to select a single 500ft dirt climb and time their entire team, as individuals, riding up that climb.
- If you have a hill climb in to share with teams in your area please share that info to those teams. If you need help finding a hill climb please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All data from coaches will be collated, and top ten individuals league-wide will be awarded by category.
- Must be submitted by coach via OmegaBykr.
- *This challenge gives student-athletes the chance to compete against student-atheletes outside of thier conference.
*If coaches need to confirm category, they should do so via the CPT
* We reserve the right to also award prizes to underdogs and ultra creative individuals and teams 🙂